Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dual Language Classes

Recently, there have been a lot of articles published about the opening of dual language classes in elementary schools in different parts of California. The aim is to teach kids to be bilingual in english and spanish. The bilingual classes begin in kindergarten and are eventually spread up through the grades of the elementary school. Class is taught in spanish one day and in english the next, constantly alternating between the two and building on what was taught the day before. Data shows that after 5 to 6 years of this teaching style, these students do better in school than their peers in monolingual classes.
I think that teaching classes in both english and spanish is a great idea, especially considering it begins at such a young age. While it would undoubtedly be confusing initially, I think that clear benefits abound. As we all know, the number of spanish speakers in our country is growing exponentially, especially in states such as California. It has become more and more crucial in many professions to speak spanish, and the importance of this skill will only increase with time, eventually becoming a necessity.
It seems that this approach to language learning is very affective, much more so than the traditional method used in schools. Most of us didn't start to learn a second language in earnest until middle school. At this point language classes are then only for perhaps an hour, several times a week. This is the language education I received, and I feel no where near fluent in spanish. Though I continued in high school, and now in college, I still have great strides to make in order to approach fluency.
Obviously one of the best ways to learn a language is to be immersed in it. This is one of the reasons I want to study abroad in Madrid. In addition, the general consensus is that it is easiest to learn a language at a young age. Dual language classes of this sort address both of these issues. Not only are kids being exposed to spanish for extended periods of time, they are also getting this exposure when they are young, before they know of any other kind of learning. This combination seems bound for success for both reasons.
It has also been shown to work in many other school districts, such as in Texas and some areas of Washington. I am curious to hear about how the new type of learning goes in Modesto, California and am sure that it too will have a positive outcome. From other sources I read that the parents are thrilled about the prospect and this in itself gives a positive outlook on the new teaching style. When parents are enthusiastic and involved, this can only mean good things for schools.

http://www.modbee.com/2010/04/05/1115018/dual-language-classes-on-the-way.html


2 comments:

  1. Interesting topic! Are there any drawbacks to bilingual education that you can think of? Are all of the consequences of bilingualism good? Are there some costs to be paid up front? If there are some drawbacks, what can be done to mitigate the potential bad effects?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with your experience learning a new language at an older age. I started taking Spanish in high school, and I finished the AP track, but I never felt even close to fluent. I really wish I had though, and one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't speak Spanish to my grandparents when I was younger so that I would retain the language. I hope bilingual education becomes more prevalent in United States schools so that other children will have the advantage that we didn't.

    ReplyDelete