Monday, May 17, 2010

Music and the Deaf: What One Man is Doing About It

One of the things that we all love is music. I can't imagine what it would be like to be deaf because not only would I be able to hear the voices of my family and friends, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy the music I so dearly love. I'm even listening to it right now as I type. But someone is trying to change this.

Sean Forbes is a man who has been 90% death since birth, but in 2006 decided to cofound the Deaf Professional Arts Network (D-Pan). D-Pan creates music videos of popular songs for the deaf in which actors and actresses sign to the lyrics. The latest is that he just signed a major record deal with Web Entertainment, the same company who signed Eminem. Forbes has always been interested in music, he is capable of hearing the low-end vibrations of hip hop and as a result learned how to play the drums. While at first he was reproducing the music of other groups to give access to the deaf community, Forbes also has a great talent for creating his own music. He was just awarded this recognition and will be touring this summer with the cowriter of some of his music.

I was very surprised when I read this article. I wasn't quite sure what the purpose of D-Pan was, or how it worked. Then I watched some of Forbes' music videos and understood completely. He uses subtitles, signing, and images of rhythmic movement, such as drums, to convey the lyrics and beat of the music. I was surprised by the effect. I listened to some songs with no sound. Of course it wasn't the same, especially considering I don't know sign language, but it was interesting to see.

I think it is great that sign language is getting more recognition in a world that is so focused on sound. Sign language definitely does not receive adequate recognition, so this was a refreshing article to read. I think it is important that as a society we encourage all types of diversity, including language diversity. Still, there is so much emphasis on spoken languages that we seem to have all but forgotten sign language. I think this is a good reminder that music and art comes in all different forms, and so does language. I hope that Sean Forbes does really well in his music career, for this is definitely something that should be encouraged.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100516/ENT04/5160321/Deaf-musician-Sean-Forbes-lands-major-recording-deal

http://www.d-pan.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment